As I write this, it is St. Patrick’s Day. For you and your family, whether or not you have any Irish ancestors, I offer a blessing for your home.
May you be blessed with Warmth in your home, Love in your heart, Peace in your soul, and Joy in your life.”
Today is also the celebration of the completion of the 131-mile path, The Loop, where the entire community of Tucson is invited to walk, ride a bike, run, or otherwise enjoy the sights of Tucson. If you haven’t been on any portion of The Loop yet, check out the website for more information.
This is one of the times of the year when people’s thoughts turn to making changes, often in buying or selling a house. If you have been thinking of making a move, or if you know someone who is, I welcome and appreciate your referrals. CONTACT ME – 520-248-6297.
Real Estate Trends – National and Tucson
- Forbes predicts that in 2018, housing inventory will still be tight; mortgage rates will hover around 4%; the new tax law will affect higher priced homes, and possibly rental costs; inventory will continue to be low; sales will slow, but only a little; and the increase in prices will slow, but not stop.
- In the Tucson main market, February 2018 active inventory was 3,704, a 4% decrease from February 2017. There were 1,187 closings in February 2018, a 7% decrease from February 2017. Year-to-date 2018 there were 2,247 closings, an 8% decrease from year-to-date 2017. Months of Inventory was 3.1, up from 3.0 in February 2017. Median price of sold homes was $205,000 for the month of February 2018, up 9% from February 2017. The Tucson Main Market area had 1,707 new properties under contract in February 2018, up 16% from February 2017.
You can find housing information for your specific area of Tucson, on my website. And did you know you can also sign up for my “In Touch with Real Estate” e-newsletter?
- Spring Equinox – March 20, 2018 – It’s the time when day and night are the same length. From now until the Summer Solstice we will have longer days.
- Tres Pueblos Neighborhood Spring Festival – March 24, 2018, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. Come on out and stop by my table. Plenty of family fun and food!
- Easter – April 1, 2018 – Check your local paper or online for special events.
- Tax Day, April 15, 2018 – If you can, don’t wait until the last minute to file!
The Month of April is Prevent Child Abuse month.
See what Prevent Child Abuse Arizona is doing to protect children. Call the Arizona state hotline to report child abuse – Hotline at 1-888-SOS-CHILD (1-888-767-2445)
Note: Banner photo taken in spring, 2011 at Tumacacori Historic Landmark
Happy May Day! May 1 has been venerated throughout the centuries as a specific time for celebration of new growth. I remember that as an elementary student I participated in a May Pole dance, with streamers around the pole. This custom is not very prevalent now in the United States, but is still a part of other global cultures.
Below, please find the May edition of my monthly newsletter. If you would like to receive the newsletter via email, please send me your contact information through my website.
Have you ever been on “The Loop”, Tucson’s multiple urban pathway (MUP)? I spotted these blooms while on a ride on the Julian Wash segment of the 131-mile riding and walking path around Tucson. As a recumbent tricycle rider it is a wonderful way for me to easily and safely enjoy the many aspects of the city.
There are many homes adjacent to The Loop which is easily accessible for enjoying the outdoors and city views, as well as watching the birds and wildlife. While on a ride on the Santa Cruz River I once witnessed a bobcat catching its morning meal. So if you like the kind of lifestyle Tucson affords cyclists and outdoor enthusiasts, you might want to investigate the possibilities.
Here is a great tool for your search! (http://longrealtyapp.com/suswanne)
Because I love words, this month begins a regular installment of The Monthly Word. This month’s word is REALTOR®. It is pronounced “reel –ter”, not “reel-uh-ter”. The definition of a REALTOR® is a real estate professional who is a member of the National Association of REALTORS® and who subscribes to its strict Code of Ethics. You might notice the symbol after the word realtor. You can read about the history of the REALTOR® trademark here.
In this month’s real estate news;
- Beware of scams that take advantage of buyers’ and sellers’ ignorance about the real estate business. Realtors can be scammed too, even when they are knowledgeable about real estate transactions. For example, phishing emails contain phony documents that look like the real thing, requesting the person to sign, and therefore divulge personal information, or worse, wire money to the thief rather than the escrow company. So beware!
- Real Estate trends for 2016 include continuing rise in home prices and sales, and higher rents and mortgage rates.
- Do you know how much house you need for your lifestyle? Find out by taking this quiz.
Local Events this month;
- Everyone loves to eat, and here are some places where you can celebrate Cinco de Mayo in Tucson.
- National Public Gardens Day is held on the Friday before Mother’s Day to promote awareness of how gardens and green spaces support life. In Tucson visit Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Reid Park Rose Garden, Tohono Chul Park, Tucson Botanical Gardens, and Yume Japanese Gardens.
If you have an event you’d like listed here, let me know.